Thanks for so many great memories Year 5, have fun in Year 6.
Morning Year 5
Welcome to the last week of what has been a very eventful term! This will also be my last week
at Sacred Heart as my role as maternity cover has come to an end. I'm moving to a different
primary school in Baildon in September.
Although I am very sad to be leaving I am not worried about any of you. I've seen first hand
what an excellent teacher Mr Cairns is so you will be in very safe hands next year. I hope you
listen carefully to him especially in those early weeks when you are all adjusting back to school
life after such a long time off!
I am very grateful and pleased that you lot were my first ever Primary school class. I
thoroughly enjoyed teaching you all and had lots of fun. You all made the class such a happy,
vibrant place to be and I will always look back fondly on you. I am moving this week Zoom
meeting to Friday and we will have a proper party complete with Stash's tunes.
I would urge you all to continue to improve in the same way you have done this year. I will be
really interested in hearing how you get on next year and will try and pop in at some point to
say goodbye properly. This year has been incredibly strange for everyone and I never
envisioned I'd be leaving in this sort of way but that's the cards we've been dealt and as a
group I think we've played them pretty well! (That's a metaphor by the way)
Sacred Heart is a great school, you have lots of fantastic Teachers and Teaching Assistants
and there is a very caring and ambitious culture in the school. I hope you all make the most of
year 6 and fulfil your undoubted potential.
Farewell year 5.
Have a great last week and a great summer holiday.
Today is the final week of Children's Art Week which lasts three weeks! This week the focus
is on Literacy and Creative Writing. I would love to see what you come up with.
Some mixed maths questions to keep you going. Start on bronze and see if you can do silver and maybe even gold or platinum! You'll have to write your answers out on paper.
Here are the worksheets that go with the White Rose Lessons.
More lovely photos received this weekend, they really do make us smile. Jake and his brother Jaxon put together a lovely care package for their Grandad Alford. Really nice to see boys. Got some lovely photos from Ayanna shoiwng some of the crafts she's been doing at home and some of her daily exercises. Great to see Jake having a go at the 5-a-day and a great photo of his family bike ride and Lucas' impressive Tie Dye T-Shirt. Well done boys.
Here are ten spellings for you to attempt over the course of the week
W/C 14/4/20 & 20/4/20
Mrs Roe has created some videos for each year group. Feel free to look at each video but the one that is aimed specifically at Year 5 is the one on 'Pitch Notation'.
To write a poem or produce a piece of art surrounding the ideas of 'inequality' and 'injustice'.
This is a very relevant and important topic in the world right now. There are many people living in civilised societies still being treated in an unfair fashion.
One of the great things about our school and Year 5 is our diverse ethnicity and this is something we celebrate, this isn't the case in all parts of the world. I can't wait to see what you produce.
Your weekly challenge this week is to try and deisgn a board game. Use Filipi's examples at the top of the page as inspiration.
Try and have a focus for your board game, it could be your favourite book, film or game.
Finally, write some instructions using Imperative verbs (command words) for your game.
Lego Sculpture (or anything if you don't have lego)
Build a sculpture using anything you have at home. You can build anything you want but I'd like you to send me a photo of it and also I'd like you to write about it. Either a descriptive piece of writing about it, or you could give a background story to it or you could write a poem about it. My Son and I created some of my favourite film scenes so you could do the same too?
Build a homemade marble run.
Use your imagination — and a series of tubes and obstacles — to create a winding path for a single marble to travel from beginning to end. Marble runs use gravity, so you’ll need to start the marble high up to make sure it has enough energy to complete the whole run!
- Tip 1: Use your biggest cardboard piece as a background, lean it against a wall for stability, and attach tubes and barriers to it to create your run.
- Tip 2: Out of tubes? Fold cardboard to create channels!
Try and learn some birdsong while the roads aren't as full of cars!
This link works on phones and tablets and will play the birdsong.
Book in a box. Do your best with whatever you have at home!
The idea is to draw, make, paint anything that represents your favourite book using an old shoe box as the blank canvas, it can make a rather nice theatre appearance. If you don't have an old shoe box, or any old box, just do a picture on paper of your favourite book. I hope you are all getting plenty of time to read. It's really important you try and read every day. Here, below is an example of one about Harry Potter.
Write a playscript about the first day after lockdown ends. Remember to include a cast, stage directions, remember to set the scene nicely and have fun with it! I don't mind what format you use, whether you want to you write it with pen and paper or on word or another computer program. If you can find a way of getting it to me, either by e-mail or even taking a photo and e-mailing the images if you've written it by hand I would love to read them when they are finished. I will talk about this more on Zoom on Monday.
w/c 30/03/20 - test 1 w/c 06/04/20 - test 2 Complete these on paper with a pencil. You can let me know how you got on or if any questions cause you problems.
There is an information powerpoint about Martin Luther King here and a fact file to complete. But, you can do more reading and writing about him beyond these two documents. Country of the week template. Just for ideas, you can find out any information you like.
If you can't remember your username or password to these sites, ask your parents. We have sent them an email with this information!
Please continue to use Mathletics. Lots of new activities will be set regularly.
Please continue to use TTRockstas. Lots of battles and times tables will be set regularly.
This is a great new Maths website for the children to use. Quizzes will be set each week that follow the topics we were/would be covering in Maths lessons.
This is a wonderful writing and English resource.
Remember to visit the subject pages on the website for subject specific work and links.
Free Celebrity Classes For Kids In Lockdown.
It feels like the whole world has been tuning into Joe Wicks every morning and I would encourage you all to do that(it's really hard though!) but there are loads of other fun lessons online at the moment as well, my kids are loving the David Walliams lessons. Have a look at some of these and see if you can work one or two into your daily routine.
Here are a few recommendations with the links attached:
9:00 PE WITH JOE WICKS
10:00 MUSIC WITH MYLEENE KLASS
11:00 SCIENCE WITH MADDIE MOATE
11:30 DANCE WITH OTI MABUSE
13:00 MATHS WITH CAROL VODERMAN
15:00 ENGLISH WITH DAVID WALLIAMS
You can complete home learning without the use of the internet.
Here are some suggestions for this week:
- Use your toys to make shadows and draw round them. If you leave them in the same place, do the shadows change during the day?
- If you have any seeds at home, plant them in your garden or in a pot and see how your plant grows while you are at home.
- Do a still life drawing of your garden or what you can see out of your window.
- Complete a traffic survey. How many cars, lorries, bikes, tractors etc. go past your house in one hour?
- Find some minibeasts in your garden. Draw a picture of what they look like and create a factfile about them.
- Keep a daily diary of what you are up to. Include the date, what activities you did and what you would like to do tomorrow.
We are missing you all greatly. I hope you are all coping and staying safe. From Mr Boddy and Mrs Myers.
- 21-05-2020 - Mr BoddyCamillia, try AnyBooks. If anyone else has found a good free app for reading let us know.
- 21-05-2020 - Mr BoddyDaniyal, Ayanna and everyone else, we really miss you all too.
- 20-05-2020 - Camillia Sir I don’t know any app to read free books and I’ve already read all the books in my house .
- 18-05-2020 - Daniyal SiddiquiI miss school.
- 11-05-2020 - AyannaHi sir,I hope you and your family are well and i want to say i miss all of you and im trying to do the best i can working at home to please you all.
- 05-05-2020 - Camillia djieleHi sir I am doing my work and following the time table you gave us
- 04-05-2020 - Mrs Myers Iam really pleased we're doing Wales as our country of the week, like Mrs Boddy my mum was a very proud Welsh woman. We always wore a daffodil on the 1st March something i still do now.
- 01-05-2020 - filipisir I did a lot of this week (on times table)maths, spelling, early bird maths, reading, and art.
- 01-05-2020 - Ian MunyaiHi Mr Boddy, I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to tell you that when I wanted to log into Night Zookeeper, it won't accept my password and I don't know my Diagnostic Questions password either.
- 29-04-2020 - Alison KamgamHi Mr Boddy, I'm just here to tell you that when I log on to eedi I forgot my password. And when I go onto mathletics I do the correct username and password and it says incorrect password. For Night Zookeeper it won't let me log in.
- 29-04-2020 - Mr Masley Hi Everyone Hope you are all really well. I wanted to say something about the country of the week. Scotland is very close to my heart - I spent three years teaching in Aberdeen the Granite City. Can anyone find the answer to my questions: 1. Why is Aberdeen known as the Granite city? 2. Why does Aberdeen tend to not get a lot of rain ? 3. What is Donald Trump's link to Aberdeen? Dojo points for good answers!
- 24-04-2020 - Mark Zhang I miss school.
- 13-04-2020 - Daniyal SiddiquiHi sir, I hope you and your family are doing well. I just wanted to say that I scored full marks on the first maths arithmetic test!
- 09-04-2020 - Alison Hi Mr Boddy ! Is there going to be tt rockstars match?
- 03-04-2020 - Lucas KennedyMr Boddy I have tried to edit the maths test are unable too, please can you help me or advise me. Thank you
- 03-04-2020 - RitaThanks Mr Boddy,sorry for reading this late .lovely to hear your kids are doing well. You are doing so much for kids even though you are in a difficult time as well.hope all will be better soon.David,I and you work together.